Travel New England

New England Winter Season

It currently is winter and peak ski season in New England. The six state region boasts 63 downhill alpine ski areas, most of which are located in the three mountainous northern states of Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine.

In addition to alpine skiing, there are many other outdoor activities such as tubing, cross country nordic skiing, snowmobiling, ice skating, dog sledding, horse sleigh rides, ice fishing, sledding, snowboarding, and ice hockey that are popular across the region.

Guide to New England Skiing:
https://www.discovernewengland.org/things-do/skiing-snowboarding

10 Best Winter Towns in New England:
https://newengland.com/yankee-magazine/seasons/winter/10-best-winter-towns-in-new-england/

New England Winter Season Activities:
Snow Tubing
1550683163301.png

Cross Country Nordic Skiing
1550683218469.png

Downhill Alpine Skiing
1550683250296.png

Snowmobiling
1550683272280.png

Pond Ice Skating
1550683293557.png

Dog Sledding
1550683309145.png

Sleigh Ride
1550683354163.png

Ice Fishing
1550683379773.png

Sledding
1550683596305.png

Snowboarding
1550683623867.png

Outdoor Ice Hockey

Winter Weather Update for Southeastern Massachusetts USA

The SE Massachusetts region where I live and where Plymouth is also located had up until last week gotten off pretty easy this winter with regards to the weather. Very little snow had fallen this season and people living in this region had to drive two hours north to experience the classic New England winter and all the outdoor sporting and other activities associated with it (see my 20 February 2019 post above).

That all changed in the last five days as we just got three snow storms in quick succession. The first two were not bad as they each dropped some four inches of snow. The storm that hit last night however brought much more with totals exceeding one foot in many places (including where I live). It took me three hours shoveling out my driveway today. My back is now acting up and I am very exhausted.

20190304_110414.jpg
The scene from my back door

20190304_141230.jpg
My cleared out driveway after three hours of shovel work

Boston - The Hub

Boston is the capital and most populous city of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts in the United States. The city proper covers 48 square miles (124 km2) with an estimated population of 685,094 in 2017, making it also the most populous city in New England. The city is the economic and cultural anchor of a substantially larger metropolitan area known as Greater Boston, a metropolitan statistical area (MSA) home to a census-estimated 4.8 million people in 2016 and ranking as the tenth-largest such area in the country. As a combined statistical area (CSA), this wider commuting region is home to some 8.2 million people, making it the sixth-largest in the United States.

Boston is one of the oldest cities in the United States, founded on the Shawmut Peninsula in 1630 by Puritan settlers from England. It was the scene of several key events of the American Revolution, such as the Boston Massacre, the Boston Tea Party, the Battle of Bunker Hill, and the Siege of Boston. Upon gaining U.S. independence from Great Britain, it continued to be an important port and manufacturing hub as well as a center for education and culture. The city has expanded beyond the original peninsula through land reclamation and municipal annexation. Its rich history attracts many tourists, with Faneuil Hall alone drawing more than 20 million visitors per year. Boston's many firsts include the United States' first public park (Boston Common, 1634), first public or state school (Boston Latin School, 1635) and first subway system (Tremont Street Subway, 1897).

Read more at:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston

Aerial View of the downtown (harbor in the forefront and Charles River in top right corner with the City Cambridge on the other side)

Skyline at night from the harbor

Beacon Hill Homes

Boston Symphony Hall (circa 1900) - home of the Boston Symphony Orchestra and Boston Pops - considered to be one of the world's best acoustic music venues

Zakim Bunker Hill Bridge

Swanboat in the Boston Public Garden (Boston Common and Boston Public Garden are adjacent to one another creating some 75 acres of parkland located in the the heart of the downtown)

The White Mountains of New Hampshire are the highest peaks in all of the the northeastern US and just under a 3 hour drive from Boston. I used to do at least one overnight hiking trip in this wilderness region each year. The following videos give you a feel for what this experience is like. There are many different trails throughout this range (which consists of 48 separate mountain peaks in excess of 4,000 feet above sea level) that are maintained by the Appalachian Mountain Club. This hiking enthusiast group also operates a number of camp sites, huts, and lodges throughout the range where people can stay overnight while on their hikes. You will note from the videos the abundance of rock near the summits above the tree line and understand why the Granite State is the nickname for New Hampshire.

HIKING AND CAMPING IN THE WHITE MOUNTAINS OF NEW HAMPSHIRE

AMC White Mountains Huts & Bunkhouse Lodges

I love the Boston Pops Orchestra, very familiar with them.

We had a lot of gorgeous buildings like the Symphony Hall but unfortunately a certain German decided in 1942 that we
shouldn't have such luxury and bombed the city repeatedly taking all the lovely buildings like that out.

We have a lovely city now but buildings like that will never be built today, mainly because of cost I think.

It is my understanding that outdoor summer concerts are very popular in the UK. I have on American TV seen some of these from Glastonbury, the Isle of Wight, and Hyde Park. Given the often harsh winters of New England, our region also likes to celebrate music outdoors in the summer months as well. Below are some of the more notable outdoor summer music events.

Major New England Outdoor Summer Music Events:

Fourth of July Concert by the Boston Pops at the outdoor Esplanade in Boston along the banks of the Charles River
A medley of patriotic and popular tunes by the Boston Pops Orchestra and guest performers (much like the last night of the BBC Proms). Fireworks follow over the river which divides Boston and Cambridge. Crowds at the concert have ranged from 300,000-500,000 over the years with far more watching the post concert fireworks show at vantage points along the river. First started in 1929 by Conductor Arthur Fiedler and held annually ever since.

Newport Jazz and Folk Festivals at Fort Adams in Newport Harbor
Two of America’s longest running (both date back to the 1950's) outdoor concert festivals with each event spanning several days on two separate weekends typically in August. Held on the peninsula lawn in front of the historic Fort Adams (built in the early 1800’s to protect the harbor after British occupation of the city in two wars). A crowd of some 10,000 watches from the grounds with many others taking it in from a flotilla of boats surrounding the venue. All the greats of both music genres have performed here over the years and it is the event where Bob Dylan famously displeased the crowd by going electric for the first time.
1560892183317.png

Boston Symphony Orchestra Tanglewood concerts

A series of concerts at the outdoor summer home of the BSO at Tanglewood in the Berkshire Mountains of western Massachusetts. Held each summer for the past 80 years on the grounds of a former Gilded Age Era estate. The enclosed shed can seat nearly 6,000 with the surrounding lawn accommodating several thousand more. In addition to several performances of the BSO, there are also separate concerts put on by other popular musicians throughout the summer.
1560892221061.png

XFINITY Center Concerts
Summer concerts held several times per week by pop musicians at the 20,000 person capacity outdoor amphitheater located in Mansfield, MA halfway between Boston and Providence
1560892244831.png

Boston Seaport Pavilion Concerts
A series of many concerts by pop acts held throughout the summer at a 5,000 seat amphitheater on the downtown Boston waterfront.
1560892317973.png

Outdoor Sports Stadium Concerts
There are several concerts held at the region’s large outdoor professional sports stadiums when not being used by the home teams. Fenway Park (oldest pro baseball park in America) in Boston, the 38,000 seat home of the current Baseball World Series MLB Champion Boston Red Sox has multiple concerts by pop acts throughout the year. The 67,000 seat Gillette Stadium (home of both the current American Football Super Bowl NFL Champion New England Patriots and MLS American Soccer New England Revolution) located in suburban Foxborough (between Boston and Providence) also hosts several concerts each year.
1560892344201.png

1560892371018.png

Last edited:
Yes, we love outdoor concerts and Glastonbury is huge with the tickets selling out on the first day they go on sale.
I went to my first concert in the 80s and have been going ever since.

Old Sturbridge Village
Old Sturbridge Village is a living museum located in Sturbridge, Massachusetts which recreates life in rural New England during the 1790s through 1830s. It is the largest living museum in New England, covering more than 200 acres (80 hectares). The Village includes 59 antique buildings, three water-powered mills, and a working farm. The museum is popular among tourists and for educational field trips. Costumed interpreters speaking in modern English help visitors understand 19th-century life.

Old Sturbridge Village Official Site Link:
https://www.osv.org/

OSV Green.jpg

OSV Green-2.jpg

OSV Grain Mill.jpg

OSV Sawmill.jpg

OSV Farm.jpg

OSV Meeting House.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts