Plymouth (MA) crown VIC police car rebuild in Plymouth Devon

It really looks as if this celebration is being prepared with great detail and enthusiasm by both of us.
I liked the bit where he said "we live in it so don't have the same wonder as tourists". That is very true

A very good friend of my son has bought in a Black and White and is doing it up to look exactly as
it would on the streets of Plymouth MA.

He wrote and asked where they got the transfers etc that are on the bodywork and was very pleased
to have a reply with the name of the company who supply the MA police with their decals etc.

He then wrote to this company telling them he wanted to make the car as close as he could to a
Plymouth MA Black and White and received a package free of charge with all the decals and transfers
he needs to make the car look authentic.

I will see if I can get him on here to give his experience so far.

Last edited:
I talked with the owner today and yes, we will be having some pictures, he wants to show it off and the council are very
keen that he participates in the celebrations and shows it off on the Hoe.

I'll keep you as much up to date as possible

Be glad the Pilgrims landed in Plymouth, MA and not in Salem, MA which was home to another group of Puritans. You probably would not want a copy of Salem's police cars on your Devon roads. Their seal and police cars feature a witch on a broom to commemorate the Salem Witch Trials which occurred there from 1692-93. Mass hysteria gripped the town and 200 people were accused of witchcraft, 19 of whom were found guilty and executed by hanging (14 women and 5 men). One other man was crushed to death for refusing to plead, and at least five people died in jail. It was the deadliest witch hunt in the history of colonial North America. The City of Salem today actually celebrates this ignorant and tragic episode of its history. It very much plays up the symbol of the witch to make money with Halloween season being its biggest event of the year.

Hi all,
It's true, I have acquired a Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor. Originally an unmarked detectives vehicle in Maryland. I've had the vehicle resprayed due to the bad condition of the paint and with it being a typical police vehicle, it had a few knocks etc. I had it sprayed black and white as my original intentions were to create a LAPD replica but after a look around I wanted to do something closer to home and thought that a Plymouth PD cruiser would look great and get a fair bit attention with the upcoming Mayflower celebrations.

I got in touch with Municipal Graphics (https://www.municipalgraphics.com/) in Massachusetts who loved the idea of a Plymouth Police cruiser driving around Plymouth UK and kindly sent me the vehicle livery. On the day of collection the car got damaged by a utility company hitting a water main which showered the car in rocks etc - two weeks after it had come out of the bodyshop. Fortunately the utility company are paying for it to be repaired and now it's currently in the bodyshop to be resprayed again.

I aim to have the car 'finished' by end of June, full graphics and lightbar fitted.

44787594_10158048493928782_517845108821852160_n.jpg 51190466_10158324917593782_3740395071426527232_n.jpg 51447863_10158354106813782_2027749159607468032_n.jpg

Oh my word. I will really look forward to seeing this in all it's glorious outfit.
I intend to visit as much as I can during the celebrations and will certainly look forward to seeing your wonderful, and what must be painstaking. work in all it's glory.

Thank you so much for sharing with us.

I'm so looking forward to next year and this is going to be something really worth seeking out.

If and when you have any dates of appearances can you please post them as I really don't want to miss this;.

Thank you, I’ve done most of the work myself when it came to reinstalling equipment but servicing and other mechanical bits have been done by Benn and Sons Garage here in Plymouth. There is a car show at Mount Edgecombe in Cornwall in August (?) where I’ll give it its first ‘official’ outing as it was the first show I took it too originally after I purchased it.

Plymouth council want to use/feature the car during the events here which will be good fun, I’m going to try and get a few other US cop car owners to join me hopefully so other towns and cities can be represented.

It probably sounds funny to many Americans wondering why a Brit is doing this with a rubbish old cop car but something about the Crown Victoria really interests me and I think it’s such an iconic car, it will certainly be some form of classic car going forward I’m sure.

A lot of American police officers share your love for the crown VIC. Many were very sad when Ford stopped producing them as they had been the car of choice for a long time by police.

It's the same with all manufacturers, they are only interested in self profit and not what the customer wants.

I'm putting my money on this car being a right cracker and well worth the work obviously being put into the rebuild.
You should be proud of yourself James.

I'll second the praise for you James, this is without a doubt a most enjoyable project and if you make the public happy
and admiring as you must yourself be, then all the best to you and I look forward to seeing it completed.