Mayflower 400-Plymouth 400 Boston Event

Plans for the 400th anniversary of the Mayflower have been announced. Here’s what’s happening.
Programs in three countries are planned.

https://www.boston.com/culture/events/2019/03/16/400th-anniversary-mayflower-events

Massachusetts Calendar of Events:

April 17, 2019: Opening Ceremony at the American Ancestors headquarters, Boston, 10 a.m.

June 2019/2020: “Heritage Tours” led by the New England Historic Genealogical Society

April 24, 2020: Plymouth 400 Commemoration Opening Ceremony, Memorial Hall, Plymouth

June and September 2020: “A New England Sojourn”

June 27 and 28, 2020: Maritime Salute, Plymouth Harbor/waterfront

Aug. 1, 2020: “Wampanoag Ancestors Walk,” Plymouth

Sept. 14, 2020: State House salute, Massachusetts State House, Boston

Sept. 19 and 20, 2020: “Embarkation Festival,” Plymouth

Oct. 30 through Nov. 1, 2020: “Indigenous History Conference and Powwow,” Bridgewater State University, Bridgewater

Nov. 20 through 25: Thanksgiving events, Plymouth

Ongoing: “‘Our’ Story: 400 Years of Wampanoag History,”

Smithers

I don't think I have ever been so excited about a forthcoming even as I have this one. Our whole family is looking forward to it
and a million thanks has to go for all the information on here.

I like to keep my eye on the TV News Channels from the US so lets hope they cover this live so that those of us who can't
be there can take part and enjoy this once in a lifetime celebration.

The linked article has such a beautiful picture of the Mayflower that I thought I would bring it here.

mayflower.jpg

The Mayflower II will be fairly close to the center of Boston when it comes to the city. The former Charlestown Navy Yard is located where the Charles River and Boston Harbor meet. It is a stop on the very popular Boston Freedom Trial, a 2.5 mile walking trail that links many of the city's historic sites that relate back to the struggle for independence from Britain. This location will make it very accessible to a large number of visitors when it comes to the city.

Charlestown Navy Yard - the Mayflower II will be berthed close to the 3 masted USS Constitution frigate (1797) in photo. The Zakim Bunker Hill Bridge is in the right top of the photo. The large white roofed building behind the bridge is the Boston Garden Arena, home of the NBA basketball Boston Celtics and NHL hockey Boston Bruins.

The USS Constitution, nicknamed Old Ironsides for repelling British cannon fire, making one of its annual "turnaround cruises" of Boston Harbor. The ship typically journeys out to the fort at Castle Island minimally once each year on July 4th to fire a cannon volley salute before returning to its berth at the Charlestown Navy Yard where its direction is reversed so that it can age evenly.

Last edited:

Latest posts