LibreOffice

Alan

And me from Sweden
libre.jpg

LibreOffice is so good, you'll wonder why you ever paid for office software. It's compatible with all Microsoft document formats, and has almost every feature you'll find in the latest versions of Word, PowerPoint and Excel.

The suite contains six programs to cover every common office task: Writer, Calc, Impress, Draw, Math and Base. The last three are tools you won't find in many other free office suites, and are designed for vector diagrams, mathematical functions and databases, respectively. The latter is particularly useful; free alternatives to Microsoft Access are hard to find.

LibreOffice is an open source project maintained by a huge and enthusiastic community of volunteers constantly working to improve stability and add new features. There's a great selection of extensions and templates to make it even more flexible, and it's free for businesses as well as home users.

LibreOffice is a fork of Apache OpenOffice, and the two are extremely similar, but we’d opt for LibreOffice thanks to its more frequent update schedule and more modern interface.

LibreOffice is available for Windows, Mac and Linux, but there are no official mobile versions available except for a document viewer for Android.

Read More/Download

I think the reason Microsoft Office outsells all the others is to do with reliability and respect. The reliability of a big company so
always updated and the respect Microsoft has earned worldwide.

If I was running a big corporation, I don't think, (and without reason), that I would trust all my data to an unknown freebee

I think I can go along with what you are saying Bengie, there is also the doubt that someone would spend probably years
writing such a huge piece of software and spending a lot of time testing it and then just give it away.

Where is it's real origin, is there some code hidden in it spying on us. It all casts doubt in the mind.

Alan

And me from Sweden
Where is it's real origin, is there some code hidden in it spying on us. It all casts doubt in the mind.
Do you really believe the "Big" companies are not spying on you?
Enough has been written about the likes of Google and Microsoft so to paint a picture of someone offering free software over someon who dosnt is a little blinkered.

Alan

And me from Sweden
Here is a few stats for you, strange how governments and the like have adopted it?

LibreOffice has seen various mass deployments since its inception:
2003–2010
  • In 2003–2004, the Brazilian corporation Serpro started migrating its software to BrOffice (the local version of LibreOffice at the time), with estimated value of BRL 3.5 million (approximately US$1.2 million at the time), and became a case study for similar initiatives in Brazil, particularly in e-government.
  • In 2005, the French Gendarmerie announced its migration to OpenOffice.org. It planned to migrate 72,000 desktop machines to a customised version of Ubuntu with LibreOffice by 2015.
  • In 2010, the Irish city of Limerick gradually started migrating to open-source solutions to free itself from vendor lock-in and improve its purchase negotiation power. One of the key aspects of this move has been the use of LibreOffice.
  • The administrative authority of the Île-de-France region (which includes the city of Paris) included LibreOffice in a USB flash drive given to students which contains free open-source software. The USB flash drive is given to approximately 800,000 students.
  • It was announced that thirteen hospitals of the Copenhagen region would gradually switch to LibreOffice, affecting "almost all of the 25,000 workers".
  • The Greek city of Pylaia-Chortiatis migrated its PCs to use LibreOffice. The local Linux user group estimated cost savings to be at least €70,000.
  • In July, the Spanish city of Las Palmas switched its 1,200 PCs to using LibreOffice, citing cost savings of €400,000.
  • The administration of Umbria, Italy, started a project to migrate an initial group of 5,000 civil workers to LibreOffice.
  • The city of Largo, Florida, US has been a long-time user of open-source software using Linux thin clients. Originally using OpenOffice.org, the city of Largo switched to LibreOffice in 2013.
  • In June, the government of the Italian province of South Tyrol will be switching 7,000 PCs in administration and "many more thousands" of PCs in health services using LibreOffice and ODF.
  • In August, the administration of the Spanish autonomous region of Valencia has completed the migration of all 120,000 PCs of the administration, including schools and courts, to LibreOffice.
  • The German city of Munich announced that it would transition from OpenOffice to LibreOffice in the near future. This is in line with Munich's long term commitment to using open-source software. Munich uses LiMux, an Ubuntu Linux derivative, on nearly all of the city's 15,000 computers. The city of Munich is the second public administration to join the advisory board at the Document Foundation. News appeared in 2014 that the Council is considering migrating back to Microsoft Windows & Microsoft Office but was later denied. Based on a study, the mayor of Munich, Dieter Reiter, initiated the re-investigation of the scenario of migrating back to Microsoft systems. The trustworthiness of the study is questionable because the company has been "Microsoft's Alliance Partner of the Year" for nine years. Further details were issued by the Document Foundation.
  • The French city of Toulouse announced it saved €1 million by migrating thousands of workstations to LibreOffice.
  • The Italian Ministry of Defence announced that it would install LibreOffice on 150,000 PCs.
  • The Italian city of Bari replaced Microsoft Office with LibreOffice on its 1,700 PCs.
  • LibreOffice was officially made available for all UK Government agencies nationwide. Annual cost saving on a subscription for 6,500 users compared to MS Office is approximately 900,000 GBP.
  • In July 2015, the IT project manager working for the administration of Nantes (France’s sixth largest city) talked about the ongoing switch of its 5,000 workstations to LibreOffice started in 2013. According to the IT project manager, the switch to LibreOffice allowed the administration to save €1.7 million.
  • As of 2015, LibreOffice is installed on almost all of the 500,000 workstations of the 11 French ministries members of the MIMO working group. The MIMO working group was the first public administration to join the advisory board at the Document Foundation.
  • The Taiwanese county of Yilan would purchase no more Microsoft Office licenses and turned to ODF and LibreOffice.
  • The Vietnam Posts and Telecommunications Group switched all of its PCs (more than 15,000) to LibreOffice.
  • Lithuanian police switched to LibreOffice on over 8,000 workstations, citing cost savings of €1 million.
  • The majority (75%) of municipalities in the Walloon region of Belgium use open source software and services which include LibreOffice. As of March 2017, over 20,000 public administration staff and many times more citizens use the services.
  • The Spanish autonomous region of Galicia announced plans to finalize its switch to LibreOffice at several central government services and ministries, making LibreOffice the only office productivity suite on 6,000 workstations.
  • The city of Rome, Italy, began installing LibreOffice on all of its 14,000 PC workstations, in parallel to the existing proprietary office suite. It is one of the planned steps to increase the city's use of free and open-source software, aiming to reduce lock-in to IT vendors.

Latest posts