185grm/6oz mixed dried fruit​
Glaze
1 tablespoon milk​
2 tablespoons sugar​
Glace icing
60grm/2oz icing sugar​
1-2 tablespoons milk​
Method.
1.Grease a large baking tray. Combine the yeast, sugar and flour in a small bowl. Gradually add the milk and blend until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap/cling film and leave in a warm place (I put mine in the airing cupboard) for 5 minutes, or until foamy.​
Place the extra flour, butter, sugar and half the mixed spice in a bowl and rub in the butter with your finger tips until the mixture is fine and crumbly. Add the egg, lemon rind and yeast mixture, and mix together until the mixture almost forms a dough.​
2.Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 2 minutes, or until the dough is smooth. Shape into a ball and place in a large, lightly oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap/cling film and leave in a warm place for 1 hour, or until well risen. Punch down the dough (give it a hard punch in the centre with your fist) and knead for 2 minutes, until smooth.​
3.Using electric beaters, beat the extra butter and brown sugar in a small bowl until light and creamy. Roll the dough out to 40x25cm (16x10 inches). Spread the butter and sugar all over the dough, leaving a small border along one of the longer sides.​
Spread with the combined fruit and remaining mixed spice. Roll the dough lengthways, firmly and evenly into a log, swiss-roll style. Cut the roll into eight slices. Arrange the slices, close together, on the baking tray.​
Place the seams upwards and flatten the pieces slightly. Cover with plastic wrap/cling film and leave in a warm place for 30 minutes to rise. Preheat the oven to hot 210c.​
4.Bake the buns for 20 minutes, or until well brown and cooked through. To make the glaze, put the milk and sugar in a small pan. Stir over low heat until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is almost boiling. Remove from the heat, brush liberally over the buns and transfer them to a wire rake to cool.​
5.To make the glace icing, mix together the icing sugar and milk, and stir until smooth. Drizzle over the glazed and cooling buns.​
(I did not put any on my buns as you can see, as I don’t like them too sweet).​
Warning:- you should not eat any more than one per; hour or you could become addicted.
002.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts