CCleaner Alternatives

Alan

And me from Sweden
For a long time CCleaner has been the most popular system-cleaning tool for Windows, extending its reach to other platforms like macOS and Android phones. However since security giant Avast acquired it last year, it's been a stormy ride that's had many doubting how effective or trustworthy the tool really is.

While CCleaner has certainly grown up since its "crap cleaner" days, it's certainly gotten more bloated over the years as well. Going from 6MB in February 2016 to around 15MB around its v5.41.x release in March this year.

You may recall last summer (two months after being acquired by Avast), it was disclosed that the tool had been infected with Floxif malware. Nevertheless, to be fair, this has happened to many other developers, big and small. On the other hand, users had long been complaining about bundled software and popup ads appearing in the utility. Most recently, just last month, the company was forced to pull the latest update following an outcry over privacy issues and obscure tactics to keep the utility running in the background. So, what options or rather alternative software is worth a look?

Glary Utilities 5.111

It allows you to clean common system junk files, as well as invalid registry entries and Internet traces. You can manage and delete browser addons, analyze disk space usage and find duplicate files. You can also view and manage installed shell extensions, encrypt your files from unauthorized access and use, split large files into smaller manageable files and then rejoin them. Furthermore, Glary Utilities includes the options to optimize memory, find, fix, or remove broken Windows shortcuts, manage the programs that start at Windows startup and uninstall software. Other features include secure file deletion, an Empty Folder finder and more. All Glary Utilities tools can be accessed through an eye-pleasing and totally simplistic interface.

Wise Disk Cleaner 10.1.4

Wise Disk Cleaner is a user friendly, fast and easy to use application developed to free up disk space by deleting junk files that are no longer used by any software on your system. Even the least experienced user can easily remove junk files with this tool.

What's New:

Improved Metro Cache and WinSxs backup cleaning.
Fixed some issues from the users' feedback.
Updated various translations.
GUI and usability improvements.

These are just two alternatives from many on the market, if I were to make a choice out of these two I would proberly go for the Wise Disk Cleaner but that said and truth be told I have both on my machine.
If you do try any of these, take time to go through the options to make sure your cleaning preferences are selected.

You can download the files below.

Attachments

Latest posts