Banana Cake.

Banana Cake.

Serves 8,
Ingredients.
125grms (4oz) butter
125grms (4oz) caster sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla essence
360grms (12oz) mashed ripe bananas (about 4 bananas)
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
125mls; (4 fl oz) milk
250grms (8oz) self-raising flour

Method.
1.Preheat your oven to moderate 180c (fan oven 170 Gas 4) Grease a 20cm (8inch) round cake tin and line the base with baking paper/greaseproof. Using an electric whisk, beat the butter and sugar in a small mixing bowl until light and creamy. add the eggs gradually, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla essence and mashed banana, and beat until combined.

2.Transfer the mixture to a larger mixing bowl. Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda in the milk. Using a metal spoon, fold in the sifted flour alternately with the milk. Stir until all the ingredients are just combined and the mixture is smooth.

Spoon into the tin and smooth the surface. Bake for 1 hour, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the cake. Leave the cake in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
You can also coat the top with a butter frosting which is basically a butter cream.

Butter frosting.
Ingredients.
125grms (4oz) butter
90grms (3oz) icing sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
15grms (1/2 oz) flaked coconut
Method.
Beat the butter, icing sugar and lemon juice with an electric whisk until smooth and creamy. Spread onto the cooled cake. Toast the coconut flakes in a moderate oven, or under the grill, when cold sprinkle around the edge of the top of the cake.

As you can see by my picture, I did not use a round cake tin but a loaf tin, and as we are not great lovers of butter cream, have left the top plain.
I also purchase some loaf tin liners, which are much easier that playing around with greaseproof, see picture below, (these can be purchase in Tesco’s)

Latest posts